-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Sunday 16 January 2022

The Dirty Dozen - The Best Of 2022... Part 02 (Dec 2022 Wk 02) Spotify Playlist


My selection of the best releases this week (Jan 2022 Wk 02)
In no particular order other than tempo. 

Well what a week this has been, almost certainly one of the worst weeks for good quality new releases, even worse than the festive period. I am struggling to even choose twelve good enough to feature in this week's "The Dirty Dozen" so I'm considering not posting "The Bleeding Edge" this week as it would be scraping the barrel. That's no slight on the tunes chosen as I think they are all worthy entries even though the short list this week was extremely short!

There are a couple of good tracks on Don-E's new EP which may have appeared but the EP is not available on Spotify along with a few others I could have selected had they been available.

Last week I put my neck on the block suggesting that Lindsey Webster would almost certainly be the SoulStrutter Selection of the Week this week unless something else very special materialised. I'm afraid for her it has, in the form of the new single by The Temptations "Calling Your Name" which has really grown and grown on me with each hearing. I've been fortunate enough to hear the full album due on 28 Jan and this, for me, is easily the standout track, but there are a few other good tracks to look forward to e,g.  "Breaking My Back" and "Time For The People" for starters. You can read a full review of the album over at Bill Buckley's (a good friend and supporter of the blog) soulandjazzandfunk who has rated it 4/5 (that would be an 8/10 here!)

It was a close call and to be honest I was influenced by the fact that Lindsey Webster is already getting plenty of attention and is this week's top viewed post and hence #1 on the SoulStrutter Top 30.

Another that gets better with each play is Mamas Gun "Looking For Moses". Regular listeners to The Dirty Dozen will know that I tend to focus on the more soulful side of things and not many dance tunes get much of a look in but there are a couple of uptempo numbers included to make up the dozen. I think STR4TA have done a good job on the remix on Anushka's "Bad Weather". Bronx Cheer's update on Patrick Adam's "Ain't No Big Thing" would in other weeks have been in the Covers etc. dozen as would Davante DeVaughn's cover of "Be Thankful".

2022

2021

NB You must be logged on to Spotify to listen in full


No comments: