-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Monday 13 April 2020

Freddie Scott [1971] - I Guess God Wants It This Way [Vanguard VSD-35137]


I'm not even going to try and 'categorise' this as crossover or modern soul, as it's just a great soulful tune, albeit bordering on MOR as you could hear one of those singers singing this e.g. Andy Williams, Jack Jones, Matt Monroe et al but who cares. It's got a Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head feel about it.

Written by M. Gentile & J. Lambert who I take to be Michael (Mickey) Gentile and his wife Jennie Lee Lambert (who recorded 4 45s between 1961-69) who wrote Never, Never Leave Me recorded by Mary Wells and also Geraldine Hunt, Bobby Hill - Tell Me You Love Me and To The Bitter End, Lone, Lonely Town recorded by Three DegreesTammi Terrell and Martha & The Vandellas  Chris Clark - Born To Love You Baby and I Just Can't Forget Him, Charles Hodges - Loving You (Is Beautiful) c/w The Day He Made You, Geraldine  Hunt & Charles Hodges - You And I also done by Tony & Carol, Shirelles - Take Me among many others.


Freddie Scott [1971] - Please Listen [Vanguard VSD-35137]

Deep soul ballad on flip. NB can only find label scan for Brazilian promo!  Sound quality is not great but only one I can find at present




No comments: