-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Monday 13 April 2020

Chuck Cockerham ‎[1969] - Have I Got A Right [Mala M-12.036]


This would appear to be Chuck Cockerham's only 45. Very hard to find and only 11 on Popsike none selling below £1,000 and the latest one in Feb 2018 (only in VG condition) sold for £2,025.

He became a member of (and still is) Bill Pinkney's Original Drifters along with Bill Pinkney, Richard Knight Dunbar (of The Knight Brothers - Temptation's 'Bout To Get Me fame), Russell Henry and Roger Whitehead.

Many consider this modern soul, but it was released in Jan 1969 so surely far too early to be categorised as such, although the sound was way ahead of it's time.  I would class it more as crossover and certainly NOT Northern Soul.  It has a very similar feel to the sort of material Richard Caiton was releasing at the time i.e. I Like To Get Near You.

Written by Fred Tanner who wrote a couple of sides for Patti Austin - (I've Given) All My Love and You're Too Much A Part Of Me on Coral in 1967, and also for Sam & Bill - I'll Try, I Feel Like Cryin' and I Need Your Love To Comfort Me on Decca

Promo

The Nomads [2004] - Have I Got A Right [Ripete  R45-5001]

A 2004 'reissue/bootleg' credited to The Nomads (apparently due to rights issues), which is actually a different stereo take to the Chuck Cockerham original on Mala, possibly released for Carolina beach scene.  It contains Northern Soul track by Ellusions - Didn't Have To Leave on flip.




Chuck Cockerham ‎[1969] - Hey There [Mala  M-12.036]

No sound clip available




No comments: