-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Saturday 31 July 2021

Prince [2021] - Welcome 2 America [Legacy]


Possibly one of the most hyped albums of the year is Prince's "Welcome 2 America" which has been 'teased' for months with three singles being trickled from it over the last few months. I'm not one of Princes admirers so wasn't quick to post it on release yesterday before digesting the tracks. From a purely soul perspective there is very little of interest, for me, on the album as I find a lot of his material pop, funk and rock. The best track has already been posted "Born 2 Die" as it was the second single released on 3 Jun  after the title track on 9 Apr. The most recent single was "Hot Summer" let out last week (23 Jul).

The best tracks are the aforementioned title track, "Born 2 Die", "When She Comes" is quite a good ballad and the funk track "Same Page, Different Book", if I were stretching it "Running Game (Son Of A Slave Master)" isn't a bad track, but the others on the album leave me cold, but I'm sure Prince's legion of fans will lap this up ... they already have, as ten of the twelve tracks are already all over the Amazon chart,  only "Born 2 Die" and "Welcome 2 America" aren't in the top 30 at time of writing, probably because they have already been released as singles.

I won't let my own prejudice influence you, he was undoubtedly a unique talent but, for me, he's just not very soulful, so here's the full album.


Details
Rating: 7.4
Genre/Style: Funk/Rock/Pop
Format: Album
Media: Digital
Label: Legacy
Cat No: None
Year: 30/07/2021
Value: £7.99


No comments: