-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Wednesday 21 April 2021

Smokie Norful [2014/2021] - I've Got What You Need [Motown #001927702 / It's Soul Time]


It is not very often these days that I hear a tune that stops me in my tracks. Well this is such a tune. 

Released in 2014 on an album called 'Forever Yours' on Motown by Smokie Norful who's essentially a gospel singer but characterises his work as 'urban inspirational'. 

It was his first album since 2009 and he has subsequently released three more since.  It ticks all the boxes for me, soulful, melodic, modern, rhythmic and his tenor voice is like pure silk.  

I only just came across it recently on a compilation last year from Outta Sight 'The Only Way Is Up' as it features as the first track on the album. To be perfectly honest it seems a bit out of place on the album as most (if not all) of the other tracks are from the 70s. There are some superb tunes on it though. 

UPDATE
'bluesky' has informed me that this is due for release on 7" vinyl any day now by 'It' Soul Time'. He also put me on to the 'original' from which Norful's track was sampled by JmAY in 2011 which I have now posted, and also that the flip side to the 45 will be Lexi Feat. Gene Moore 'I Choose You' which I have also posted.


Details
Rating:9
Genre/Style:Neo Modern Soul
Format:Album
Media:CD
Label:Motown
Cat No:001927702
Year:2014
Key:4A
BPM:101
Value:£10 (approx.)


2 comments:

bluesky said...

Samples JmAY "I Won't Hurt You" from a few years earlier and is due to come out on a 7 via It's Soul Time Records

SoulStrutter said...

Hi Many thanks for the info .. I was just thinking when I posted it that it really should be reissued on vinyl! I'll have to check out the jmAy track.

The only one I can find is this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crr5BN7WUdI) but sound's not great ... do you have a mp3 you could share? soulstrutter@gmail.com
Thanks again