-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Wednesday 21 April 2021

JmAY [2011] - I Won't Hurt You [Self Released]


Following on from the Smokey Norful track posted earlier, I got a message from 'bluesky' informing me that it was actually a sample of a JmAY track 'I Won't Hurt You' from 2011. I found it on Amazon (link on image below) and it's still available for download which I did at exactly the same time bluesky sent me an mp3 so now I've got two! It is also still available on Spotify (see below).

He also informed me that it is due out imminently on Andy Lothian's  'It's Soul Time' label but has been delayed owing to Covid and the backlog for demand at pressing plants. They posted an update on 2 Apr 2021. The flip side is also excellent, Lexi Feat. Gene Moore - 'I Choose You' originally released on her 2018 album 'Just Listen' on Motown Gospel.

I do now actually recall the track (the name JmAY rang a bell) as it was doing the rounds in about 2012 as Mark Merry and Mick O'Donell both played it on their radio shows and Brian Goucher ripped one onto a carver (as it was mp3 only) and played it out, and apparently Soul Sam was also playing it, but I hadn't made the connection with Smokey Norful.

There is only one video of the track on YT and the sound quality is poor and it looks like it's being played off a (white label) carver ... which 'may' account for the poor sound?

I've linked both tracks to compare side by side.


Details
Rating: 9
Genre/Style: Modern Soul
Format: Single
Media: Digital
Label: Self Released
Cat No: None
Year: 10/09/2011
Key: 4A
BPM: 101
Value: £1


3 comments:

Mark Merry said...

Always JMay for me came before Smokie Norful too who also kills it but those Jmay Vocals We Searched And Searched At The Time Couldnt Find Him Or Anything About him...but im sure later on something else came up or maybe a remix i will have a dig through some old hardrives i have it somewhere but what a voice

SoulStrutter said...

Hi Mark

Thanks for your comment.
I think he may be Anthony (Antonio) Young of AY & The M.O.S. Band from the bay area (Lathrop) - I found a 2015 remix which is a slower/deeper mix which will probably be right up your street .. which I'll post.

He is the AY of JmAY comparing the cover photo ... so I wonder who Jm is?

There's a couple of other nice tracks there:
https://www.reverbnation.com/AnthonyYoung/songs

SoulStrutter said...

Now posted here: https://soulstrutter.blogspot.com/2021/04/anthony-young-2014-i-wont-hurt-you.html