-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Wednesday 17 February 2021

Booker Newberry [1986] - Take A Piece Of Me [Omni #OMN 1]


A lot of 'soul' music produced in the 80s just doesn't seem to stand the test of time.  I guess they were experimenting with 'electronics' (synths, drum machines and computers etc.). Some who grew up in that era like that sort of stuff, but a lot of it just leave me cold. I suspect it's because I grew up in the Philly era with full and lush productions using real musicians and much of the 80s recordings sound very sparse and synthetic in comparison.

Whilst this track, released in 1986, does have 'electronic' elements it is saved by Booker Newberry's deep and soulful vocals and the saxophone.  The song was co-written by Philly 'legends' Len Barry & John Madara along with Terry Price, so that gives it some additional 'pedigree'.

This, somehow, completely passed me by when it was released 3 years after his massive hit with 'Love Town' and I've only just 'discovered' it.  It was released as 7" & 12" and is more or less his last single release, although he did record an album in 1996. It sounds to me like there are elements of Luther Vandross in it as I detect hints of/similarities with 'Never Too Much' in places.



No comments: