-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Wednesday 6 January 2021

Johnny Baker - Discography


This article was prompted by a previously unreleased track which has just been released on 45 and is on the latest Soul Togetherness 2020 compilation and it stood out like a sore thumb as all the other tracks were 2020 new releases.  I looked into it further as I have always liked the  handful of recordings released by Johhny Baker in the early 70s on a couple of San Francisco labels, as I wondered if it was the same Johnny Baker and it does appear to be.

I thought I'd also take this opportunity of introducing his material to those who are not familiar with it. Apart from this latest discovery, he released only three 45s to my knowledge but did feature on a track on Webster Lewis'1979 album '8 for the 80's' and did background vocals on a couple of tracks on Garland Green's 'Gospel Rap' album in the 80s (Discogs states 1980 but it sounds much later than that to my ears). I'm pretty sure with his talent he must have featured on others that are undocumented.

Discography

1973 - Fog City (And You Babe) / Practice What You Preach [Fog City #800-01/02]
1973 - Donnie-O / Shy Guy [Fog City #800-03/04]
1976 - Accept Me As I Am / Operator, Operator! [Cisco #C-1000]

As featured vocalist
1989 - Webster Lewis - Give Me Some Emotion [Epic #9-50832]

As backing vocalist
Garland Green [198?] -  Gospel Rap [L.A. Music #LLA-101]
A2 - You Came Along
B2 - Let's Make A Better Place

2020 - It's Your Night [Expansion #SEARLING 1]

Johnny Baker [2020] - It's Your Night [Expansion #SEARLING 1]

The story (according to comments on Discogs) is that it is a previously unreleased track on acetate which Garland Green had in his garage and passed to the promoter of The Baltic Soul Weekender, Dan Drombowe in 2011 who had copies pressed on Unique (UNIQ184).  In more recent times Richard Searling has been playing it out and on his podcasts, I don't know if he has the acetate or one of the pressings from it.  Richard used to be, and possibly still is, involved with Ralph Tee's Expansion label who have released it on a limited edition (300 copies) 45 in August 2020.  

These have sold out quickly and now sell for silly money, but it is available on the Soul Togetherness 2020 CD/LP.  This is a recent practice that I find abhorrent, as I am pretty sure that there are individuals who buy multiple copies purely for the purpose of profiteering from them, thus preventing genuine buyers purchasing at the face value, otherwise how come many appear on Discogs with inflated prices as soon as they are sold out as there are currently 10 for sale on Discogs starting at £50 up to £95.

The B side is an alternative version with a different intro.


Johnny Baker [1973] - Fog City (And You Babe) [Fog City #800-01]

Never got a look in back in the day but would probably 'qualify' as crossover these days, a nice, soulful, mid-tempo number that just builds and builds.  I just love his tenor vocals.


Johnny Baker [1973] - Practice What You Preach [Fog City #800-02]

This is stunning deep soul ballad. Unfortunately the YT clip is not great sound quality and has been truncated at the end, but gives you a feel for it.  I think I might have a sound file of it somewhere, so if I find it I'll post it on my YT channel and link to it.


Johnny Baker [1973] - Donnie-O [Fog City #800-03]

No sound clip available. I'll look and see if I have one and, if so,  post it on my YT channel.


Johnny Baker [1973] - Shy Guy [Fog City #800-04]

I've always liked this record from when it was first played back in the early 70s, a great 70s 'modern' tune that was widely 'accepted'.


Johnny Baker [1976] - Accept Me As I Am [Cisco #C-1000]

Another stunning deep soul cut from 1976 on the flip to his NS spin Operator, Operator. His best recording IMHO.


Johnny Baker [1976] - Operator, Operator! [Cisco #C-1000]

It is believed that this may have been a 'tailor made' for the Northern Soul scene after 'encouragement' from San Franciscan record dealer Bob Cattaneo who used to supply NS records to UK.


Webster Lewis [1979] - Give Me Some Emotion [Epic #9-50832]

Johnny Baker featured on vocals on this track from '8 for The 80's' album which was also released as a single and was Webster Lewis' highest charting 45 reaching #41 R&B and #107 Billboard.  It was covered by Merry Clayton in 1980 (45 and on album of same name) and also by Tracy Hamlin in 2015 (on 'No Limits' CD), both re-titled as simply 'Emotion'.


Garland Green [198?] - Gospel Rap [L.A. Music #LLA-101]

This is the full album, Johnny Baker features on background vocals on tracks A2 - You Came Along @ 6:30 and B2 - Let's Make A Better Place @ 17:37.  I'm afraid to say that I can find no redeeeming features on this 80s synthesised gospel album, which is a shame as I do like Garland Green's earlier material. Sadly, his later, and last, album 'I Should've Been The One' in 2012 is not much better!



No comments: