-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Sunday 5 April 2020

Hearts Of Stone - Discography


Hearts Of Stone were one of Motown's lesser known groups who released 2 45s and an album on V.I.P..  They were previously known as The Four Pennies who cut 2 45s on Brunswick in 1966-67. Apparently, as they refused to sign a management contract, their album was not promoted and hence didn't sell in quantity.

There's full history of The Four Pennies/Hearts Of Stone here.


Hearts Of Stone [1970] - Yesterday's Love Is Over [V.I.P. 25058]

A killer deep soul track on the flipside of their 2nd and last 45 on the V.I.P. imprint in 1970.  Written by Henry Crosby, Joe Hinton and Crosby's (and later Phil Spector's) secretary Donna Sekulidis.



Here are the other 3 sides to their 2 45s.

Hearts Of Stone [1970] - It's a Lonesome Road [V.I.P. 25058]

For some reason I can hear the Jackson 5 singing this one - don't know if they ever recorded it?



Hearts Of Stone [1970] - If I Could Give You The World [V.I.P. 25064]

Mid-tempo Northern Soul / Crossover


Hearts Of Stone [1970] - You Gotta Sacrifice (We Gotta Sacrifice) [V.I.P. 25064]

Funky soul typically in vogue in early 70s.



Hearts Of Stone [1970] - Stop The World - We Wanna Get On [V.I.P. VS 404]

Their only album on V.I.P.



What Does It Take (To Win Your Love)

There are loads of versions (around 30+) of this Johnny Bristol, Harvey Fuqua & Vernon Bullock song recorded originally by Jr. Walker & The All-Stars in 1968, but this has to be one of the best.


You've Made Me So Very Happy

Cover version of the Brenda Holloway song co-written with sister Patrice, Frank Wilson and Berry Gordy Jr.


All 4 sides of their 45s were included on the album in addition to the above 2 tracks and the following tracks.

These 2 tracks were written by the band

On the remainder of the album are cover versions



No comments: