-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Thursday 15 April 2021

Maxine Brown [1970] - I Can't Get Along Without You [Commonwealth United #C-3008]


A 1970 release on Commonwealth United by Maxine Brown which has received modern soul spins. It also got a UK issue on Major Minor. Written by Robert Dobyne and Charles Jones and previously recorded by Dobyne in 1966 on Kama Sutra. 

Her biggest selling records were from the early 60s 'All In My Mind', 'Funny' and 'Oh No Not My Baby', but she is probably best known in rare soul circles for several mid 60s recordings on Wand, specifically her classics 'One In A Million' and 'Let Me Give You My Loving'. She has had several other tunes played such as 'One Step At A Time', 'Since I Found You' and a few others, but these are her most popular. 

A couple of previously unreleased tracks were found in the mid 80s and released on Kent in 1985 'It's Torture' / 'I Got Love' and a Jo Armsetad and Ashford & Simpson written song 'I Want A Guarantee' was released on Kent in 2016. Also, a 1965 album track (Spotlight on Maxine Brown), written by Van McCoy, was released on Kent in 2020 'I Wonder What My Baby's Doing Tonight'.


Robert Dobyne [1966] - Can't Get Along Without You [Kama Sutra #KA 207]

Dobyne and Charles Jones were together in The Hit Pack who recorded two 45s on Colpix in 1964 and Tamla in 1965. Prior to that Dobyne was in The Love-Tones which included William 'Mickey' Stevenson who were mainly used as Motown backing singers.  He was also a member of The Artistics between 1960-64. 

Dobyne & Jones released a single together in 1972.



No comments: