-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Thursday 22 April 2021

Ane' [2021] - Learning To Love Myself, Vol. 2 [Self Released] (Full Album)


I posted an album 'Where I'm Coming From' by Ane' only last week, and to be perfectly honest I wasn't particularly complementary about it as many of the tracks sounded off-key to my ears. Well, she has just released another album 'Learning To Love Myself, Vol. 2' on 15 Apr 2021 and sounds like a completely different, much better, singer. So my guess is that perhaps this is an earlier recording when she was younger as her voice sounds much stonger?

All the tracks, except for 'Anytime, Anyplace' (which is a cover of Janet Jackson song from 1993) were written by a combination of Mike Warner and Shirley Ann Marshall, so again I am guessing that she may be Shirley Ann Marshall .. and perhaps the album was recorded in the 90s as it's got that early 90s feel about it?

This album is pretty consitent all through, and if I'm right that it was recorded in the 90s it stands up well in 2021. 

Don't be fooled by the slow and smouldering intro to her version of Jackson's 'Anytime, Anyplace' as it picks up pace into a good latin jazz flava'd dancer and is probably my choice cut on the album. 'What Are We Gonna Do' is another good stepper. 'I Want You All Tonight' is possibly the track to give away the date as it's right in that new jack swing early 90s mould. 'All I Ever Wanted Was You' is a nice soulful jazz/swing number.

On first listen there's not a bad track on the album. With fourteen tracks, I'm sure when I get time to listen to them all properly there will be others I warm to.

If anyone has more information on the artist or this recording then please leave a comment as I can find no details about her.


Details
Rating: 8.2
Genre/Style: Neo Soul
Format: Album
Media: Digital
Label: Self Released
Cat No: None
Year: 15/04/2021
Value: £7.99


3 comments:

Franklin Sinclair said...

The original single "Learning to Love myself " was released in 2010 and was my Number 2 of that year. Literally incredible track . I think these recordings are all in the last 11 years or so . I agree voice on these is much better . No other track on here is a patch on Learning to Love

Asawadude said...

Discogs is your friend. To learn more about Ané, go to her Discogs page. https://www.discogs.com/artist/6688717-Ané-Marshall

SoulStrutter said...

Hi
Thanks for your comment ... the 'mystery' was solved in May here:
https://soulstrutter.blogspot.com/2021/05/ane-mystery-solved.html