-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Monday 25 January 2021

R.I.P. James Purify (12-05-1944 - 22-01-2021)


I learned yesterday that the other half of James & Bobby Purfiy died owing to Covid-19 complications aged 76.  Bobby Purify, who was actually James' cousin named Robert Lee Dickey, died in 2011.

The duo are best known for their 1966 classic 'I'm Your Puppet' but were reknowned on the Northern Soul circuit for their version of The Five Du-tones 'Shake A Tail Feather' which they released in 1967 on Bell, and a few other NS style tracks 'Wish You Didn't Have To Go''Let Love Come Between Us', 'I Was Born To Lose Out', 'Do Unto Me', 'Everybody Needs Somebody', 'Help Yourself (To All Of My Lovin)', 'Last Piece Of Love'.

'I'm Your Puppet' didn't chart first time around in the UK and they had to wait 10 years with a re-recorded version which reached #12 in 1976.  They scored another Top 30 hit (#27) in the UK with the follow up 'Morning Glory'.

For the time being for the 'youngster's' who may not be familiar with their classic I'll leave you with it.



No comments: