-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Wednesday 25 November 2020

Collins & Collins [1980] - Top Of The Stairs [A&M 2233]


Well known on the UK soul scene, broken on modern soul dancefloors and then crossed over to Northern Soul dancefloors, is this Ashford & Simpson song released by Collins & Collins.

No information available for this duo who I suspect are husband / wife (or possibly brother / sister?).  They released one 'self-titled' album and 2 singles from it in 1980.  Ashford & Simpson originally recorded the track on their 1977 'Send It' album, but this is one of those rare occasions where the cover version (in my opinion) is better than the original. I think the Collins & Collins version is tighter and has a bit more punch, but I'll post up both versions for you to decide.

Discography

Albums

1980 Collins & Collins [A&M #SP-4806]
Top Of The Stairs
You Know How To Make Me Feel So Good
Do You Wanna Dance
Can't Turn Down Love
You Made Me Believe
I'm Feelin' Your Love
Please Don't Break My Heart
Yo-Yo

Singles

1980 Top Of The Stairs / Please Don't Break My Heart [A&M #2233-S]
1980 You Made Me Believe / Do You Wanna Dance [A&M #2258-S]


Collins & Collins [1980] - Top Of The Stairs [A&M 2233]

Available on 3:33 single 'edited' version or 4:38 album version - a 45 issue will cost you around £175-£250 (even more on same sided promo although apparently these are not as rare as the issue!). An original album on vinyl will cost between £40-£85 at current prices although it has been reissued on CD 3 times 1998, 2006 & 2014.


Here's a surprise, I've found footage of the duo performing the track for the first time 'ever' at the 4th Baltic Soul Weekender in 2017.



Ashford & Simpson [1977] - Top Of The Stairs [Warner Bros. #BS 3088]

This is by far the cheaper way to own it as you should be able to pick this album up for less than £5.


As a bonus here are a couple of the better tracks from the album.

You Know How To Make Me Feel So Good

First off is a cover of the Gamble & Huff song recorded by Harold Melvin & Blue Notes Feat. Sharon Paige - You Know How To Make Me Feel So Good released in 1975 on Wake Up Everybody album and also as a 45 on flip to Tell The World How I Feel About 'Cha Baby.



I'm Feeling Your Love

A smooth and mellow stepper.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for remembering my brother, Bill and myself, Tonee of Collins and Collins.

SoulStrutter said...

Hi Tonee
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I very much appreciate it. If you would like to provide some more information about yourselves and your music career I would be happy to publish it.
You may contact me privately at soulstrutter@gmail.com.
Best regards
SoulStrutter