-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Monday 23 March 2020

J.J. Barnes [1969] - I Got To Get Rid Of You [Volt VOA 4027]


Northern Soul hero J.J. Barnes with one of his best ever records. Released on Volt after leaving Revilot and one his last 60s recordings.  I believe that this was played on the Modern Soul scene first and would be classed as a crossover sound.

This record is quite sought after.  I don't think it is particularly rare as it was released on a major label, but they don't come up for sale that regularly as owners don't want to sell it.  A copy would probably cost you between £100-£150 these days.

For those not familiar with the term 'crossover', in brief, it relates to records released between around 1967-1974 that did not fit the 'formula' for Northern Soul nor Modern Soul as they were too slow i.e. not typical dancers.  It is the period between 'on the four' Motown beat and Disco when a lot of black music was going funky and the style of soul music was changing.  In the late 80s/early 90s quality soul music that would otherwise not have been played on the UK soul scene began to be played and were classed as 'crossover'.  Personally I love this genre as the records tend to be far more soulful.

SoulStrutter's Rating: 9.5



L.V. Johnson [1997] - I Got To Get Rid Of You [Stardust URS 119]

SoulStrutter's Rating: 8.8

Cover version of J.J. Barnes song.  I think this was released late 90s early noughties, but that's only a guess as I think that's around the time I bought my copy.  I believe that it was the first release of a previously unreleased  track.  It was issued by Goldmine Soul Supply on 45 in 1997(but only as a promo - perhaps a licensing dispute?) - I seem to recall that the Canadian Stardust release came first (?).




No comments: