-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Thursday 11 August 2022

Lamont Dozier [2018] - Reimagination [V2 Benelux #VVNL32961] (Full Album)


Just dropped in the inbox, and probably received by DJs, is a lovely message and gesture from Mark Ede. Mark represented Lamont Dozier's European interests and had a professional stake in, what has sadly turned out to be, Lamont's final full album "Reimagination" in 2018 on which he duets on reimaginations of his classic Motown songs with many different artists ranging from Gregory Porter, Todd Rundgren as well as British singers, Sir Cliff Richard, Jo Harman and Rumer amongst others. Certainly a piece of music history albeit Dozier's voice obviously wasn't what it was in his heyday, he was almost 77 and sadly, as we know now, his health was failing as it was released less than a month before his cancelled UK tour.

Mark has kindly sent out the full album and also included a link to video footage of "Reach Out, I'll Be There" (a #1 Hot 100 hit for Four Tops in 1966) being recorded for the album with the UK's Jo Harman. Jo featured here in April with a cover of another Motown classic "You're All I Need To Get By" with Mike Mayfield.

Read what Bill Buckley at SoulAndJazzAndFunk wrote about the album when released in 2018

As said in Tuesday's tribute I bought tickets to see him a few years ago and the concert was cancelled and rescheduled and then cancelled a second time due to his ill health. He had seven dates lined up but I couldn't remember when the gig was scheduled for but luckily found the confirmation email and it was planned for 12 Jun 2018 at Symphony Hall, Birmingham and then rescheduled for Feb 2019 with the following statement from Lamont:

"To my friends & fans – I regret that I have to postpone my trip to the UK and my performances this coming June due to medical advice. I was very much looking forward to being there with you all and giving you my best. Please accept my humblest apology, as I will work on getting my health back to where it needs to be and will look forward to seeing you at the rescheduled dates."

Covid of course then hit us in 2020 and he lost his wife of 41 years, Barbara, in 2021.

Please note, as Spotify is not showing guest artists, click on cover image for full track listing.

Details
Explicit: N
Genre/Style: Motown Classics
Format: Album
Media: Digital
Label: V2 Benelux
Cat No: VVNL32961
Date: 25/05/2018
Price: £7.99
Copyright © 2009-2022 SoulStrutter All Rights Reserved


No comments: