-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Sunday 31 July 2022

Chaka Khan [2022] - Woman Like Me [The SoNo Recording Group]


When a legend such as Chaka Khan releases new music it cannot be ignored. However, I'm afraid to say that this new song "Woman Like Me" doesn't do anything for me (and I have also received opinions from some highly respected soul people to make sure I'm not out on a limb with my opinion) but I'll post it up anyway so you can make your own decision on it. I think it's trying to please everyone i.e. the pop market which may alienate soul music lovers as this to me is not remotely soulful!

You may disagree, that's your prerogative, but I'm also entitled my opinion and I'm not going to pretend to like a mediocre song just because it's sung by Chaka Khan. If it wasn't Chaka Khan singing it then it would more than likely be completely ignored!  She deserves a much better song than this. It is also derivative, I can't quite put my finger on it but think it may sound similar to an Alicia Keys song?

I don't usually write negative reviews but feel we need some balance as, I'm sorry to say that, this is everything that is wrong with the music business and society in general, celebrity wins over quality every time. Independent artists release far superior music and put their heart and soul and own money into it which, in the main, is ignored and 'mainstream' artists release mediocre music and the media is all over it and hence the 'blind' follow because of who it is and not on merit! Time for a reality check methinks!

Details
Rating: -
Explicit: N
Genre/Style: New Soul
Format: Single
Media: Digital
Label: The SoNo Recording Group
Cat No: None
Date: 29/07/2022
Key/BPM: 10A/92
Price: £1
Copyright © 2009-2022 SoulStrutter All Rights Reserved


4 comments:

Franklin Sinclair said...

I agree 100% with what you say about well known artists getting plays just because of who they are . This is the worst thing she has ever made

Anonymous said...

Beyoncé or CK???

SoulStrutter said...

Beyoncé or CK??? what? The article is on CK. If you are referring to the Beyonce post then two tracks were posted on 'merit' NOT because of she is and equally not ignored because of who she is either! If the music is good enough it will be posted regardless of who it is by. Conversely if it is not good enough it doesn't get posted except in this instance because it seems to be getting so much attention that in the interests of 'balance' it has been posted with an 'honest' review from a soul listeners perspective!

USMAN47 said...

Well said. How far we are from the Soul music we love!!!

Yves