-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Wednesday 15 June 2022

Touch Of Class [2022] - The Philadelphia Re​-​edit Sessions [Simpson Uniquity] (Full Album)


Well if you didn't grab the Gloria Gaynor Philadelphia Re-Edit Sessions then I'm afraid you've now missed the boat as it's gone as it has been replaced today with a new set by Touch Of  Class.

They were a quartet from Philadelphia consisting of brothers Gerald and Pete Jackson, Herb Brevard and Michael Hailstock. 

The first seven tracks are from their debut album "I'm In Heaven" (1976 recorded at the legendary Sigma Sound Studio) which included John 'Monster' Davis on keys, sax and flute (who also produced the album) and Vince Montana on vibes. "I Just Can't Say Goodbye" was written by John Davis and was first recorded by the Philly Devotions in 1974.

"I Love You Pretty Baby", for me, is one of the finest 70s records ever recorded, it's absolutely sublime. It was only released as a single in Germany as a B side to "You Got To Know Better" in 1977. A 1975 RCA 10" acetate was later discovered, which is presumably a one-off.

The last track is from their second, self-titled, album on Roadshow from 1979 written by group members Gerald and Pete Jackson. Michael Hailstock left the group and they reverted to a trio for this album, "I Said It Before" is from their last album in 1981 which included 7 tracks from their first album (i.e. all but "I Love You Pretty Baby")  plus two new songs.

"I Don't Want No Other Lover" was a single only on the B side to "You Got To Know Better".

A surprising exclusion is "Turn The Beat Around" from their second album, written again by Gerald & Pete Jackson, which was a disco hit for Vicki Sue Robinson in 1977. Gloria Estefan also had a stab at it in 1994. So, I've included it below. 

The Jackson brothers, along with a new member Hamp Dickerson, recorded an album "Back To The Future" in 2014.

01 - I'm in Heaven (Paul Simpson Re-edit) 06:47 #
02 - I just can't say goodbye (Paul Simpson Re-edit) 08:33 #
03 - You got to know better (Paul Simpson Re-edit) 04:23 #
04 - Anything (Paul Simpson Re-edit) 05:20 #
05 - You got nowhere to come (Paul Simpson Re-edit) 04:50 #
06 - I love you pretty baby (Paul Simpson Re-edit) 05:33 #
07 - One half as much (Paul Simpson Re-edit) 04:38 #
08 - I don't want no other lover (Paul Simpson Re-edit) 04:43 (single)
09 - I said it before (Paul Simpson Re-edit) 04:07 ###
10 - I need action (Paul Simpson Re-edit) 06:15 ##

# I'm In Heaven (1976)
## Touch Of Class (1979)
All three album are available to stream on Spotify (links above).

As always the case this is Bandcamp only and only available for two weeks from 14 Jun 2022.

Click on image below for link to where you can buy from.
Click icons below for further information or to connect with the artist. 


Details
Rating: 8.8
Explicit: N
Genre/Style: Philly  Soul / Re-Edit
Format: Album
Media: Digital
Label: Simpson Uniquity
Cat No: None
Date: 14/06/2022
Price: $9.99
Copyright © 2009-2022 SoulStrutter All Rights Reserved


1 comment:

USMAN47 said...

Still Philly at its best. You're right: "I Love You Pretty Baby" is really exceptional in this style of music.

Yves