-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Wednesday 24 November 2021

Fuji [1970] - I'd Rather Be A Blind Man [Cadet #5677]


An alternative male version to the Etta James classic "I'd Rather Go Blind" retitled as "I'd Rather Be A Blind Man". Well, I say alternative' but actually Fuji (aka Fugi) is one of the song's writers Ellington Jordan.

The song, of course, has been covered dozens of times including by the likes of Clarence Carter, Bettye Swann, Margie Joseph, Spencer Wiggins and even Rod Stewart and Christine Perfect (Fleetwood Mac) in the 70s and many, many others since, but I wonder how many of us have heard it sung by the song's writer?

There are 90 versions listed on SecondHandSongs and probably many others not listed as blog reader Yves left a comment suggesting two recent versions not listed by Canadian singer Renee Wilkin from her album "Soul 67" in 2017 and another by Spanish group Georgina Peach & The Savoys from their 2019 album "I'm On My Way".

There is also a great version by Paloma Faith and Ty Taylor recorded at live from BBC Proms 2014. What a voice Ty Taylor has! You may recognise him from a role he played in Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger's' "Vinyl" TV series in 2016. He is the lead singer with an L.A. rock band Vintage Trouble.
.


1 comment:

USMAN47 said...

2 more recent and lesser-known works that deserve attention:
Canadian singer Renee Wilkin from her CD "Soul 67" released in 2017 and Spanish group Georgina Peach & The Savoys from their CD "I'm On My Way" released in 2019.

Yves