-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Monday 8 March 2021

Humble Pie (& The Blackberries) [1973] - Black Coffee [A&M #AMS 7052]


Last week I posted up a track by Clydie King and in the write up mentioned that she was with The Blackberries, a sought after backing group, who supported Humble Pie among many others.  Well, at the weekend I saw a music programme on BBC Four which featured 'Black Coffee' by Humble Pie live on The Old Grey Whistle test from 1973 which had The Blackberries, who at that time consisted of (left to right) Billie Barnum (who is H.B. Barnum's sister and was also a member of The Apollas and replaced Sherlie Matthews on this live recording), Venetta Fields (who was a member of The Ikettes / Mirettes) and  Clydie King

The song was written (and recorded in 1972 on 'Feel Good') by Ike & Tina Turner and I was impressed at how soulful and blusey Steve Marriott's voice was on this track.  The whole chemistry of the performance is great so I thought I'd share it.  Take it for what it is (and consider the line 'my skin is white but my soul is black') but some nice vintage footage of The Blackberries.



Details
Format: Single
Media: 7"
Label: A&M
Cat No: AMS 7052
Year: 1973
Key: 8B
BPM: 73
Value: £4-£6


No comments: