-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Tuesday 21 April 2020

Jimmy Burns / Bobby James / The Mystics / The Brand New Faces - I Really Love You - Versions


A song alluded to in The Fantastic Epics post was 'I Really Love You' a Northern Soul Classic written by Robert Lee Newsome (Bobby Newsome), a member of The Vontastics, who recorded it as Bobby James on Karol in 1966. The best known version is by Jimmy Burns.  In this post I'll highlight several other verions.

Jimmy Burns [1965] - I Really Love You [Erica E-02]

Discogs and 45Cat both list this as 1965 and 45Cat lists Bobby James as 1969, however Bobby Newsome (James) wrote the track and Jimmy Burns says that the all he did was put down vocals on the existing backing track so we should assume that Bobby James version was probably first.



Jimmy Burns [1965] - I Love You Girl [Erica E-02]

Written by C.B. (Christopher Bertrand) Allen whose name crops up in many of the tracks posted here.


Bobby James [1966] - I Really Love You [Karol KAR-3727]

Produced by C.B. Allen.


Bobby James [1966] - I Really Love You (Inst) [Karol KAR-3727]

Instrumental version



The Mystics [1970] - I Really Love You [Teako T370]


The Mystics were mainly hispanic teenagers from Pilsen, Chicago when they formed in 1967 as a 6 piece band but later merged with another Chicago band with brass and woodwind to become a 12 piece.
In Autumn of 1969 Ed O'Kelly (a producer and owner of Teako) heard the group's rehearsals and offered them a recording contract. They recorded this 45 in late 1969 at Universal Studios and  it was released in summer 1970. It did quite well locally but the group disbanded in 1971 leaving just this single 45.



The Mystics [1970] - That's The Kind Of Love [Teako T370]


The Brand New Faces [196x] - Brand New Faces [LuJuna 10655-7-B]

Credited to Sam Lee who presumably must have written the different lyrics as it has the same backing as Bobby James and Jimmy Burns.


The Brand New Faces [196x] - I Don't Wanna Cry [LuJuna 10655-7-A]

This version' is credited to Otis Brown, who I owned the label (named after his daughter) and all other releases are by him.  Brown is famous for recordeding Southside Chicago on Ole another label he was co-owner of.


Denise Chandler [1969] - I Don't Wanna Cry [Toddlin' Town 118]

There's a few links here ... this version's writer's credits are by Christoher B Allen who also wrote Jimmy Burns 'I Love You Girl'  (flip to I Really Love You) and 'I'm Not Like The Others' recorded by The Lovelites (when Denise Chandler (Deniece Williams) was a member) and also by Little Jimmy Gandy who I believe was related to The Lovelites.  The Lovelites also recorded a different version (below)



The Lovelites [1970] - I Don't Wanna Cry [Uni 73081]

The Lovelites version from their With Love From The Lovelites album.  The song was written by Chrsiopher Allen with the same title but as it is either a different arrangement or may be a different song as sounds different.




No comments: