-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Friday 20 March 2020

Curtis Gadson

NB this was originally posted on ModernSoul on 31st August 2009

Since originally posting this on ModernSoul, Curtis Gadson contacted me and pointed me in the direction for finding out a bit more info about him.  He was entertainment vice-president at BET  (Black Entertainment Television) in Burbank, CA from 1982 to 2004 when he left.  In this time he received 6 Emmys.  I believe he is currently a feelance TV Programming & Production consultant.



Curtis Gadson [1987] - K.I.S.S. Y.O.U [Proving Ground]

I first heard this on the Robbie Vincent soul show on Radio 1 in 1987.  It's a 12" 33rpm mix on Proving Ground (Detroit) from 1987 but can't find any other info.  Curiosly there is no catalogue number on the label although it appears to be PG-1002. He appears to hail from Detroit as all the recordings I have uncovered originate on independent Detroit based labels. Further research shows that he co-wrote 'Slow Dance' with Ron Sanders & Roz Newberry performed by David Ruffin on his 1980 Gentleman Ruffin LP (further Detroit connections) which incidentally has Leon Ware and Ronnie McNeir on backing vocals on this and several other tracks. The killer 'modern' track from this album is the first track 'I Wanna Be With You' which perhaps I will feature (along with 'Slow Dance') in a future post.


A few other tracks by him include: 

Curtis Gadson [1984] - Fired Up [Saturday Night Music Machine UR 4224]



Curtis Gadson [198?] - In The Middle Of The Night [Midwest 8150]

An 80s soul ballad/stepper (known as Quiet Storm during the 80s).  The flip side is an instrumental of the A side


Curtis Gadson [1989] - Can I Get A Witness [Chloe CLE 101] 

1989 take on the H-D-H classic "Can I Get A Witness" flipped with soul ballad "Listen To My Heartbeat" on Detroit indie label.


Curtis Gadson [1989] - Listen To My Heartbeat [Chloe CLE 101]


He recorded another 45 'God Bless The Boys a tribute to Detroit Tigers baseball team in 1984 but haven't posted it as it has no soul content!

He also recorded as Curt Darin cutting Two On A Cloud / A Grown Up Fairy Tale on Buddah in 1976 

Curt Darin [1976] - Two On A Cloud [Buddah 556]



Curt Darin [1976] - A Grown Up Fairy Tale [Buddah 556]




No comments: