-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Monday 24 January 2022

R.I.P. Freddie Hughes (20 Aug 1943 - 18 Jan 2022)


I'm extremely saddened to learn that Freddie Hughes died last Tuesday from leukaemia and complications from Covid-19 aged 79. This year already is an 'annus horribilis' as far as veteran soul artists has been concerned.
He has been mentioned and featured many times on this blog and has been one of my favourite male soul singers since I can remember. His work should be far more widely known and appreciated and as the headline of this obituary reads "He should have been a superstar"!

I will not go into any great detail as his work has been extensively covered in this Discography from a couple of years ago and several other posts over the years HERE.

I think the best tribute is to link to respects paid on his facebook page and to post some of his best recordings and a live performance at The Catfish Blues Festival with his son Derrick in 2013 singing, 'criminally', his only solo chart success "Send My Baby Back" from 1968. Rest in peace Freddie and thank you for your music.



1 comment:

USMAN47 said...

What a sad start to the year!!! Another great gentleman.
A piece of my youth that is leaving.

Yves