-->
email Facebook Instagram Instagram Spotify Mixcloud eBay Instagram Linktree

Tuesday 4 January 2011

NS548 The Elgins [1966] - Heaven Must Have Sent You [V.I.P. VP 25037]



548 The Elgins [1966] - Heaven Must Have Sent You [V.I.P. 25037]

b/w: Stay In My Lonely Arms
Format: 45
Label: V.I.P.
Cat No: 25037
Year: 1966
Value: £Cheap

Probably one of my all-time favourite Motown sounds.  This to me is just the epitome of soulful pop music.  This one got into my brain in the early 70s when I was discovering soul music and it got a re-issue in  the UK and has held an affectionate place in my heart ever since. I have included a few of the better cover versions below. 

Lyrics:
I've cried through many endless nights
Just holding my pillow tight
Then you came into my lonely days
With your tender love and sweet ways
Now I don't know where you come from baby
Don't know where you been now baby
Heaven must have sent you into my arms
Now in the morning when I awake
There's a smile upon my face
You touch my heart with gladness
Wiped away all of my sadness
Oh so long I've needed love right near me
A soft voice to cheer me
Heaven must have sent you baby into my life
Ooh it's heaven in your arms
It's the sweetness of your charms
Makes me love you more each day
In your arms I wanna stay
Wanna thank you for the joy you've brought me
Thank you for the things you taught me
Thank you for holding me close
When I needed you the most
Now I don't know much about you baby
But I know I can't live without you
Heaven must have sent you honey
To love only me
It's heaven in your arms
It's the sweetness of your charms
Makes me love you more each day
In your arms I wanna stay



The Elgins [1966] - Stay In My Lonely Arms [V.I.P. 25037]



Cover Versions: 

The Continental Four 1972

The Continental Four were Larry & Ronnie McGregor, Fredddie Kelly & Anthony Burt and they released their version on Jay-Walking in 1972. It was also included on their only album Dream World also from 1972 produced by Bobby Martin on Jay-Walking.  They are best known on the scene for their first release on the  label, the wonderful The Way I Love You.


Bonnie Pointer 1978

Be careful which version you choose as there is an awful 'disco version'!


Here she is performing it live (or lip synching?):


Diana Ross & The Supremes 1986

First saw the light of day on the 1986 compilation 25th Anniversary Part 2


Lulu 2000

Lulu performed it live on a show called Motown Mania which spawned a CD release in 2000 here.




No comments: